Thursday, November 12, 2009

What's Bugging Me

Ok, there is this mythological idea that a being can spontaneously exist upon the death of another being. Such is the case with the flies in our house. I swear that I pre-count the number of flies buzzing around and then with any convenient rag, I set forth on a killing spree. . .ninja faces and sounds are often beheld by the innocent children. Then, when I gather the carcasses, low and behold more have spontaneously appeared! What is happening here? Five flies are rapidly swarming around me reading about the demise of their parents. Freaks, just leave me alone! (Talia has joined my quest on ridding our house of the filthy pests. I will often find her with some shirt or small hand towel saying "Uh-Oh, fly!" and then swatting the 'fly' area in a fit of uninhibited kung fu skill).

Another funny bug situation can be discovered on the underside of my deadbolt lock on my front door. This door is rarely used by any of our family except on the days I run to get Mia at the bus stop. Returning home via the front door one such day, I noticed an "egg sack". Totally disgusted and not fully rational, I found the nearest stick to destroy this nest of arachnid horror. (Didn't I remember the mass exodus of the hundreds of spider babies unleashed when I tried to fumigate the mother a few weeks back?) I turned out to be a fuzzy caterpillar luckily, but still a bit weird for me to remove by myself.

Today was strange bug encounter day starting with a random scorpion basking in the warm morning sunlight. Thank heavens Tiago missed stepping too close. Then extra thanks was needed when he resisted the huge temptation to touch it. He was assuaged when he found a mix between a grasshopper and a mutant green lady bug on our kitchen window and ecstatic when we went out to play and found a walking stick resting on our back door. Talia and Tiago alternated holding the fragile looking bug and giggling uncontrollably as the bug writhed around in attempts at freedom. Obviously this was its first introduction to a curious child.

3 comments:

David said...

1st!

you have scorpions in texas?

student said...

I'm with David, scorpions in Texas? Ah another of the lesser understood joys of motherhood, ridding the environment of every hazard, no matter what in what form it appears. Good thing you have a helper or 2 in the form of kiddos!!

Kristi, Liezl, Quincy, Ava, Cora, and Josh said...

I can totally picture the ninja moves around the house. I was my dad's fly killer buddy when I was little. Nothing like fly killing bonding time.