Friday, February 20, 2009

The smelly mist. . .


Nothing says America more then a Rodeo and your own herd of kids to accompany you there. Although we didn't stay long enough to enjoy the traditional Rodeo events, we did get a chance to peruse various side shows of pig, sheep, and donkey contests. The pigs really amazed me. Here were these oversize swine waltzing around on stiletto looking hooves.


Before we made it into the dollar day rodeo side show fun, we were bemoaning the chilliness. February has been particularly charming with 70-80 degree weather that the 50 degree temperatures felt unbearable. Armed with little more then light jackets, we braved the cold. (Now, I understand that most of you are dreaming of 50 degrees as relief from the snow, but imagine dropping 20 degrees in a day and you'll understand why we were so cold.) After getting to the first "misty" area, I was more then grateful for the chill. The mist was cause by the cold air and the warm animal by products that were more then abundant.

We munched on over priced hot dogs and enjoyed a few pig races. That's right. Little piglets raced around a track while we cheered them on. The kids each got 3 rides of various carnival amusements which seemed unfair to Mia. I have never been a carnival lovin' gal and felt like a dollar was a lot to ask for to spin around in the air. I couldn't believe that people come on normal/non-dollar day times and pay as much as $5 per 2 minute ride.

We found an area which was more to my liking, free bounce house fun. The kids seemed to enjoy it too. Free samples, free bouncing, free dough boy picture. Life was good.

Some how we missed all the other animals that you could pet like a llama and such, but found joy in the various tractors and farm equipment on display.


Unfortunately we missed the obvious fact that tractors are not toys nor should they be sat on by children. Luckily some random tall levi wearing large brimmed hat cowboy let me know. This was more upsetting to me then the kids. The most they said about having to get off was "why". I on the other hand was fear struck that some powers that be would to something nefarious since I broke some rule. (This happens anytime someone tells me I broke the rules). Oh well, the kids found some massage chairs and began loudly singing "Cowgirls, Cowboys" by the Backyardigans.




This picture captures Talia's thoughts on the day. Yee-Hah!


8 comments:

Leah said...

You guys seriously do fun things ALL THE TIME! It's amazing that you guys are so active with three small ones. I'm impressed

Claudia said...

Texas is weird, don't you think? I can't get over it.

The Jones--trying to keep up said...

Looks like the rodeo was a hit for you guys too. We enjoyed it but were all exhasted after it was over.:)

student said...

The kids look official, cowboy hats and all. Wow, nothing says Texas like a rodeo. Ye haw!!

David said...

a day at the fair, how fun!! you're right that the prices for rides are outrageous. i would have loved to see the pigs. did you know that my old neighbor had a pet pig? I need to watch Babe again. and finally, what is this tasty recipe blog? is it yours? i'm finding out that everybody has like 4 or 5 blogs each. i feel so inadequate with my one.

tylerandmommy said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! I love the blue foam cowboy hats!

Lynn said...

is mia getting blonder by the day? so cute.

Spencer's Adventures said...

Sounds like fun...you have no idea what cold is :). Your kids have grown up so much - they are way cute!