Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Ripple Effect and the Explusion of the Greatest "Show" on Earth

Fernando is currently living a vampire lifestyle. (That was to appease all those Twilight fans, go Team Tovar or is that supposed to be team edward???) He leaves for work around 5:30 pm and returns a bit disoriented at 8 am the next morning. After sleeping for as many hours possible, he gets ready for work/plays with the kids/shoves food in his face at around 4:30 pm to start it all over again. This started the day after Christmas.

This past Saturday, I had promised myself to take the kids to the Holiday Lights on the River Walk if they would take a nap. This promise had been made before, but broken on account a various external forces seeking to thwart obedient childrens' dreams. Against my deepest desires to send the kids to bed early, we went at 7 pm (very late for us) to the River. It was a blast. I came prepared with jackets, gloves, hats, and a baby backpack. With temperatures in the upper 60's though, I was carrying Talia and all the excess winter items. A couple hours later, we headed home for our beds. I had remembered to grab the Red Box movie we needed to return and kept contemplating picking up a new one for me to watch solo on this fine Saturday night.

AND SO THE RIPPLE BEGINS. . .
As usual, I felt a specific prompting to act in a certain manner. And like usual, I stack up all my reasons why I don't want to follow that prompting and try to make a valid case. Stupid, I know.

Problem #1: RedBox movies are $1 for one night. I knew I wouldn't return it on Monday so is the movie good enough to pay $2 for it?
MY PATHETIC RATIONALIZATION: Well, if I were to rent it from a movie store, it would totally cost more then $2 and way to go on committing to not returning it on Sunday.

Problem #2: I am already tired and it's almost 9 pm. Call it a night so you can be a happy, helping mommy for whatever the night or tomorrow brings.
MY PATHETIC RATIONALIZATION: There are a lot of clothes that need to be folded. I am sure that will take the duration of the movie to finish. Then the house will be cleaner for Sunday.

Problem #3: I am not going to take the time to download the filter for the movie, do I really want all that excess junk ie swearing or sexual content flowing into my house and head? Why don't you spend that time studying the scriptures? MY PATHETIC RATIONALIZATION: I am sure it won't be that bad. Besides I deserve a little adult down time.

Sorry prompting. . .I am just too convincing.

So I get the movie and hurry the kids home to bed. I shove the mounds of clothes into the TV room and prepare myself for the ABBA inspired musical phenom of Mama Mia. Fernando has warned me over and over and over again to keep my video critiques to myself because I am so critical and demeaning. Just ask the last innocent bystander to was forced to listen to me rip apart their family's favorite movie (that is topped by the Saving Private Ryan incident which will be remembered post post). SO lets just focus on problem #2.

May be there are many out there who can multitask with the TV on. This has never been me. It really doesn't matter the quality of programing, I will zone in instantaneously. By 2 am, the laundry was still unfinished and I was watching some Hallmark Channel Christmas Made for TV movie about Santa Claus and his need to get married to save Christmas, but the girl is an unbeliever who has a kid and obviously a poor relationship history blah blah blah. And when that was on commercial, I would flip to a movie about a coming of age love story between a 10 year old boy and an 11 year old girl who met in karate class. (this show actually had some funny elements that reminded me of my eccentric self back in the junior high days.)

Buzzing from lack of sleep, I summoned all my reason to turn off the TV and head for bead. Just then, Talia woke up hungry and sick. I fed her and soothed her the best one can with the fuzziness of late night activity and put her to bed. Then Tiago needed water and a potty break. I fell asleep around 4 and was up again to make breakfast at 6. This would have been punishment enough, but there was more.

Due to my groggy state of being, I was slow to react when it was important and overly jumpy when we could have not been. Bad combo for little kids. I barely made it on time to church in a ridiculously frumpy dress and shrug, greasy ponytail and funky clipping of the grown out bangs, a heinous lack of make up, and the familiar BO smell from one who took a rushed shower. I picked a side bench near the front.

I brought bribes for good behavior during the passing of the sacrament and that was about it. Because of my rush, I left the overly loaded church fun bag at home. I won't bore you with the minute by minute play, but instead give you the fast forward version.

Kids munching on very crumbly and noisy granola bars, Talia screaming, standing in back to listen, leave on Talia's account, go back in, wrestle with Tiago for Talia's car seat, try several ways to make fire shoot from my eyes to show Tiago visually I mean business (no luck), a sweet mother of 3 who just had extensive knee surgery and a car accident struggle up to my bench and offer assistance (clue one that you are causing a pretty big scene), leave again. . .more screaming, more bribes, more talking about good church behavior, more BO. Strangers asking to help (clue two you look like a show) SO ENDS SACRAMENT MEETING.

I talked, practiced, convince Tiago that nursery was good and only for one more week. Then asked Mia to sit with him so I could play the piano for the next two hours as my calling requires. Mia refuses to sit with him, Tiago refused to sit with class, Talia screaming, me running back and forth murmuring ridiculous angry comments under my breath, being asked repeatedly by several other church members if everything was ok, leader gets a replacement and I try to leave.

Tiago at this point starts screaming about how much he wants to go to nursery, Talia still screaming for her bed, Mia won't get up from the middle of the bench and I tried to focus on vanishing.

The whole way home I talked about my disappointments and how they could have been better when I realized something.

My ripple I started just complicated a normal event. I could have been well rested and therefore ready for church with such helpful ammunition as coloring supplies and interesting books for sacrament meeting. I could have sat in the back so as only to have the dividing wall notice my up and down and up and down and in and out and in and out scene. I could have asked for a piano sub so I could sit with Tiago and help him feel safe in church. I could have accepted the countless offers to help with Talia and there by free myself in order to help my kids. BUT I didn't and I am to blame.

9 comments:

Claudia said...

Change a few of the specifics, and we've all been there. Made the wrong choice, ignored the offers of help (we got ourselves into this, right?), and lived to regret it. You are, in fact, only human.

Why is it so hard to go to bed by yourself, even if you know what tomorrow will be like? I don't know, but I've been there, and it's always ugly.

Here's hoping you get your vampire (and your sanity) back soon...

Emily said...

Can't wait for march 5.

Just kidding, I am already there with just one, so throw one more into the circus and call it a day.

This was so funny because it is so true of all of us.

Next week, you will bring your A game, I just know it :0)

Jenni said...

Wow! That took me a while to read this late evening. Maybe I should go to bed now so as not to have the ripple effect in the morning. It's just hard to go to bed when your husband is away this I know. I rarely get any more sleep than Aaron on call nights.

JOSH AND ANGELA said...

At least I know that my all but perfect sister also has all but not perfect days... I am sorry for the fiasco and the dilemma of the "single" mommy-ness at church. I only have one but my solo days go at least as well if not worse. Late night movies certainly don't help the insanity. I wish I lived closer to maybe mutually help each other out!! :)

Angela said...

What an impressive reconstruction of events. You have to rate near the top of humble and hilarious story tellers. On Sunday I remember sitting a little behind you and thinking about how you were doing such an amazing job with three kids on your own. Your family is a joy to be around. I hope you have a wonderful New Years. Take care, Angela.

Becca said...

Yep, Claudia is right. I felt like that was me on Sunday. I kept having to get up and down with Parker because he needed to use the potty. If you ever need someone to help, I'm totally there for you unless Jake is on call too!

The Moving Circus said...

I will gladly take Talia or any of your kids during church so you can have one quiet sacrament meeting. The stares were just everyone sympathizing with you. We have all been there before. If anyone says they haven't the are full of it!!!

A good by shindig would be fun, Lesa wanted to do one as well. Still don't have the official orders yet though...

student said...

Except for the exhaustion part from lack of sleep, I think you ran a pretty respectable "put out the brush fire" marathon. Did anyone's pony tail end up on the side of the head? Did all the buttons running down the front of your shirt remain buttoned? You will be OK mom, and so will your kids. Every day is new with no mistakes.

Lynn said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who rationalizes themselves into poor decisions and then has to sufferthe consequences. Which is why i love now being on 1pm church. I know lots of people hate it but it saves me from the greasy ponytail, no makeup blahs. And we all get to have breakfats/brunch before church! Yay.

I particularly like the part about fire shooting from your eyes. I have also tried to channel that superpower many times.